Minnesota National Guard
History of the
1st Brigade Combat Team
Campaign Participation Credit

Civil War - Bull Run, Penninsula, Valley, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Petersburg, Virginia in 1861, Virginia in 1862, Virginia in 1863, Virginia in 1864, Virginia in 1865

War With Spain - Manilla

Philippine Insurrection - Luzon, San Isidoro

World War I - Streamer without inscription

World War II - Tunisia, Naples-Foggia, Anzio, Rome-Arno, North Appenines, Po Valley
Decorations

French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered BELVEDERE
Lineage

• Organized in the Minnesota Enrolled Militia at Stillwater as the Stillwater Guards and mustered into Federal service 29 April 1861 at Fort Snelling, Minnesota as Company B, 1st Regiment, Minnesota Volunteers.

• (1st Regiment, Minnesota Volunteers, reorganized and redesignated in April 1864 as the 1st Battalion, Minnesota Volunteer Infantry; expanded, reorganized and redesignated 23 February 1865 as the 1st Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Infantry; mustered out of Federal service 14 July 1865 at Jeffersonville, Indiana.

• Reorganized in 1883 in the Minnesota National Guard as Company K, 1st Infantry Regiment.

• Redesignated 4 May 1898 as Company K, 13th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry.

• Mustered into Federal service 7 May 1898 at Camp Ramsey, Minnesota; mustered out of Federal service 3 October 1899 at San Francisco, California.

• Reorganized in 1900 in the Minnesota National Guard at Stillwater as Company K, 1st Infantry regiment.

• Redesignated between 1912 and 1916 as Company K, 3d Infantry Regiment.

• Mustered into Federal Service30 June 1916 at Fort Snelling, Minnesota; mustered out of Federal service19 December 1916 at Fort Snelling, Minnesota.

• Drafted into Federal Service5 August 1917.

• Converted and Redesignated 1 October 1917 as Battery F, 125th Field Artillery, an element of the 34th Division.

• Demobilized 22 January 1919 at Camp dodge, Iowa.

• Expanded, reorganized, and Federally recognized 27 May 1921 in Minnesota National guard at Stillwater as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, and the Howitzer Company, 1st Infantry.

• Redesignated 21 November 1921 as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, and the Howitzer Company, 135th Infantry, elements of the 34th Division (later redesignated as the 34th Infantry Division.)

• Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, reorganized and redesignated 2 May 1925 as Company A, 135th Infantry; Howitzer Company reorganized and redesignated 31 August 1939 as Company D, 135th Infantry.

• Companies A and D, 135th Infantry, inducted into Federal Service on February 1941 at Stillwater, Minnesota.

• Inactivated 3 November 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia.

• (135th Infantry relieved 19 June 1946 from assignment to the 34th Infantry Division and assigned to the 47th Infantry Division.)

• Reorganized and Federally Recognized 12 November 1946 at Stillwater, Minnesota as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, and the Antitank Company, 135th Infantry.

• Antitank Company redesignated 1 November 1948 as the Heavy Mortar Company, 135th Infantry.

• Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, and Heavy Mortar Company, 135th Infantry, ordered into Active Federal service 16 January 1951 at Stillwater, Minnesota.

• (Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 135th Infantry [NGVS], and Heavy Mortar Company, 135th Infantry [NGVS], organized and federally recognized 16 January 1953 at Stillwater, MN.

• Released 2 December 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 135th Infantry[NGVS], and Heave Mortar Company, 135th Infantry[NGVS].

• Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, and Heavy Mortar Company, 135th Infantry, consolidated 22 February 1959 and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters Company, 1st Battle group, 135th Infantry, an element of the 47th Infantry Division.

• Reorganized and redesignated 1 April 1963 as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 135th Infantry.

• Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1968 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Brigade, 47th Infantry Division.

• Redesignated 10 February 1991 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Brigade, 34th Infantry Division.

2011 Annual Unit History.doc

1st Brigade Combat Team unit history.pdf
 
top 

History