| Wal-Mart Says Its Hiring 100,000 Returning Veterans In Next 5 Years
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Starting on Veteran’s Day, an American retailer says it will hire more than 100,000 returning veterans in the next five years.
Wal-Mart will offer jobs to any honorably discharged veteran in his or her first year off from active duty.
The opportunities will be in stores, distribution centers and the home office.
The numbers are against veterans finding employment. Capt. Jeff Pratt was one of those returning veterans struggling to find a job.
“Finding full-time quality employment was a big thing for me,” Pratt said.
According to U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Statistics, as of December 2012, the unemployment rate for civilians is 7.5 percent, while people who have served in the last decade have 10.8 percent unemployment.
That’s down from more than 12 percent unemployment for returning service members as of a year ago.
Pratt says Wal-Mart and other companies will benefit from what returning service members have to offer.
“Leadership value; there is honor, integrity in everything we do in the military,” he said.
Pratt was one of the lucky ones.
“Companies like UnitedHealth Group and others that are out there have engaged in a process that will gainfully employ returning service members,” he said.
His military job in logistics transferred nicely to UnitedHealth. Pratt said it was easy because of a military skills translator the company uses on its website.
That military skills translator is used by many other companies. The Minnesota National Guard worked numerous Minnesota-based companies such as Target, Best Buy and US Bank to help soldiers in get jobs.
And it has paid off.
When the Red Bulls returned last May, 20 percent faced unemployment. Today? Only 35 of those 2,700 soldiers do not have jobs.
Hugo Yellow Ribbon Network Celebrates Five Years
Posted: 2014-12-18 10:32 AM
HUGO, Minn.- The city of Hugo celebrated its fifth anniversary as a Yellow Ribbon community at their city council meeting, Dec.15. The Minnesota National Guard's, Adjutant General Maj. Gen. Richard C. Nash, and Director of Military Outreach, Annette Kuyper, were on hand to say thank you to Hugo and its Yellow Ribbon Network volunteers.
"This city has changed how citizens can come together to support, honor and recognize veterans, Service members and their families," said Nash. "I especially commend Chuck Haas for all he has done to lead these efforts in your community."
Hugo Yellow Ribbon network Chairman Chuck Haas, a retired business owner, proud grandfather of six and a member of the Hugo city council since 1998 has been part of the Hugo program since the beginning.
A First Sergeant's Surprise
Posted: 2014-12-16 08:13 AM
BLOOMINGTON, Minn.- The Mall of America in Bloomington, Minn., became a Yellow Ribbon company earlier this year, which proclaims the company's dedication to past and present Service members and their families. To celebrate this, they held its first Holiday for Heroes event at the Mall the morning of Dec. 14.
The event shut down the park for a few hours on Sunday to allow veterans and their families to come and enjoy all the rides for free, as well as some food and giveaways. More than 3,000 took part in the event, but the day will be the most unforgettable for family and friends of 1st Sgt. Robert Renning of the 133rd Airlift Wing in St. Paul, Minn.
204th ASMC commander provides mission update on Minnesota Military Radio
Posted: 2014-12-15 02:06 PM
ST. PAUL, Minn.- More than 40 Soldiers with the Minnesota National Guard's 204th Area Support Medical Company left Cottage Grove, Sept 14, 2014, for a nine-month deployment in support of the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO) in Sinai, Egypt.
After pre-deployment training at Fort Dix, N.J., the unit arrived in Eqypt in mid-October to begin their mission of providing health service support, medical care and health protection measures for members of 14 different nations that make up the MFO.
Capt. Jonathan Vang, commander of the 204th ASMC, recently called in to Minnesota Military Radio to give an update on how the unit is adapting to its new mission overseas.
CMSAF Cody visits with 148th Airmen
Posted: 2014-12-15 01:01 PM
DULUTH, Minn.- Seven Airmen from the 148th Fighter Wing, Duluth, Minn. were given the opportunity to visit with the Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force James A. Cody on Nov. 1, 2014. Chief Cody was in Minnesota to visit the 934th Airlift Wing, Minneapolis, Minn. during their drill weekend and held an Airmen's Call which members of the 148FW attended.
During the Airmen's Call, Chief Cody stressed the importance of all components of the Air Force to include the Guard and Reserve, discussed downsizing the force and what that might mean to future missions and thanked everyone for the contributions they make to the Air Force.
"I thought that the Chief's town-hall meeting format was great. He opened the floor to questions right off the bat and really put himself out there for the ranks to ask questions, said Master Sgt. Nick Downs, 148th Fighter Wing. The atmosphere and his demeanor made it comfortable for any Airman to ask questions."