/*********************************************** * Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu- (c) Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com) * This notice MUST stay intact for legal use * Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code ***********************************************/
History
Minnesota National Guard
Troop surge disappoints some local leaders

President Bush's announcement last Wednesday to send 21,500 more troops to Iraq did not come as a surprise to some However, the announcement that Minnesota National Guard's First Brigade Combat Team would have their stay extended did

The 2,600 Minnesota Soldiers, who were scheduled to return home in less than three months, will have 165 days added to their stay in Iraq, with an expected return now set for July or August By that time, the First Brigade Combat Team of the 34th Infantry Division will have been deployed for two years

Following the announcement, several local and national leaders spoke out about their disappointment with the decision Minnesota Gov Tim Pawlenty, Minnesota Sen Amy Klobuchar, several members of Congress and several military commanders expressed their opposition to the extension

Minnesota's adjutant general Larry Shellito said in a press conference this past Thursday that the announcement was unexpected However, he went on to say that he was more concerned about the condition of the families at home than the troops stationed in Iraq

First Lt Matthew Dick, who served nine months in Afghanistan with the 34th Military Police Company out of Rosemont and currently trains with Monticello's National Guard unit, agreed with Shellito

"I think it absolutely affects the families more than it does the Soldier, because the Soldier has something day in and day out that he has to distract him from the extension They have something to occupy their thoughts," Dick said "For the families, I think it is much harder for them, because they are still left at home without their loved ones"

Dick said he experienced a similar extension during his time in Afghanistan His unit was initially scheduled to serve for six months, but the mission was extended to nine He said the initial shock of being extended was a difficult pill to swallow, but he said his unit continued with its mission "We were extended very similar to what happened to the BCT," Dick said "Do you get upset? Yes The initial reaction is you're upset and you're frustrated, but at the same time, that is not going to change anything You are still going to be extended, and you still have a job to do"

Dick also said if his unit was called up to serve again, it would be ready

"Certainly, it made us think that we may be called to go," he said "But we are all prepared for that possibility We are ready to answer the call, if it comes"

However, Cpt Patricia Baker, a public affairs officer for the Minnesota National Guard who deals with future operations, said there was no word as of this past Friday that any more Minnesota National Guard troops would be called to duty other than the units already scheduled for deployment

So far, that means Monticello's 257th Military Police Company, (previously the 216th Air Defense Artillery) which returned home in March 2005, will remain in Minnesota

Units already scheduled for deployment include air wings in both Duluth and St Paul

But while it appears no more Minnesota National Guard troops or families would be impacted by the surge, Baker, reflecting earlier sentiments made by Shellito, said the call for the extension was both unexpected and a letdown

"We are disappointed We were all gearing up for and planning for this March return," she said "The Soldiers in the First BCT had a redeployment window marked on their calendars, and they were marking off the days Some of them had as few as 60 days left before they were coming home, some of them 80, but those were X's on the calendar, and now you have to flip pages to get to that day that you have circled where you are planning to go home"

Reintegration academies, similar to the one conducted in Monticello in September, continued their scheduled start time, with the first one occurring this past weekend, but Baker said they will be altered to deal with the new reality

Baker said the sessions will focus more on support and outreach functions, and she said they will also step up outreach at the 11 family assistance centers in the state The centers provide assistance for military families who find themselves in trouble dealing with monetary or other issues

The sessions were scheduled to occur every weekend in January, February and March up until the unit's return home, but the recent announcement has challenged the Minnesota National Guard to alter its plans not only in dealing with the families but the Soldiers, as well

"The very morning that the president was going to make his announcement, the brigade commander sent us an e-mail here at headquarters stating that he had zero indication of an extension and he had received nothing from higher headquarters about even the possibility of an extension," she said "This truly was an unfortunate surprise"

Baker said they have received feedback from Soldiers within the unit currently stationed in Iraq, and she said the general theme has been one of overwhelming disappointment

"We had a staff sergeant e-mail us here at headquarters and say, to quote him, 'That this is disappointing, but at the very end of the game, when you are about to go into overtime, you take a drink of water, you put your helmet back on and you get back into the fight,' " she said "We are disappointed, but we are going to continue to serve"

Baker said she expects to hear a slightly different response from families at the reintegration sessions

"It is going to be about more about 'how can the guard help me additionally with this additional burden,' " she said

So far, no explanation has been given for the exact operational reasons behind the extension, and Baker said the unit has not received any new orders The only definitive piece of information Baker said they have received is that the brigade mission has been extended for up to 125 days

That said, Baker said an explanation, although late, is expected

"That is an expectation for the combat commander on the ground, that you are extended and here is your mission," she said "Hopefully, it will be unchanged At this time we have no reason to suspect it would be changed, but we don't know that yet"

By Chad Eldred, Monticello Times
1/17/07

Source: www.monticellotimes.com



Articles archive

In The News archive

Media Advisory archive

Latest News

Governor Mark Dayton installs new Minnesota National Guard Adjutant General

Posted: 2017-11-04  04:16 PM
TAG installation ST. PAUL, Minn. - Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton administered the oath of office to Maj. Gen. Jon A. Jensen, installing him as the Minnesota National Guard's 31st Adjutant General during a ceremony in St. Paul, November 4, 2017.

"General Jensen has been a tremendous leader of the Minnesota National Guard throughout his years of dedicated service," said Governor Dayton. "He has served in two top leadership positions, as the Commanding General of the 34th Red Bull Infantry Division, and also as the Chief of Staff at the Guard's Joint Force Headquarters. I am confident that he will continue to provide the same outstanding leadership as his predecessor, General Rick Nash."

Jensen most recently served as the Commanding General of the 34th Red Bull Infantry Division. He previously held positions as Deputy Commanding General, United States Army Africa and Southern European Task Force, Minnesota National Guard Director of the Joint Staff and Minnesota National Guard Assistant Adjutant General - Army.



Guard Heritage Suffers with Loss of Artillery Unit

Posted: 2017-10-04  11:22 AM
ETAB ANOKA, Minn. - The Minnesota National Guard lost one of its most historically significant units when the 151st Artillery's E Battery, (Target Acquisition) cased its colors in a ceremony at the Anoka High School Aug. 19, 2017.

The Target Acquisition Battery (ETAB), 151st Field Artillery is one of the oldest and most decorated units in the Minnesota National Guard and the 34th Infantry Division. "Both Minnesota and the Division lose the proud lineage that goes back to Civil War days, through WW1 and WW2, and had a significant amount of battle streamers," said 151st Field Artillery Battalion Commander, Lt. Col. Patrick Cornwell.

The 151st Field Artillery draws its lineage from the 1st Regiment, Minnesota Heavy Artillery of 1864 which fought two major campaigns in Tennessee during the Civil War.



In one month: Minnesota Guardsmen support Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria

Posted: 2017-09-29  02:25 PM
Minnesota National Guard ST. PAUL, Minn. - In the span of a few weeks, three major hurricanes hit different parts of the southern United States, causing widespread damage and destruction and requiring the response of agencies around the country. The Minnesota National Guard is one of the many organizations that have responded, sending Soldiers and Airmen to Texas, Florida, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

"This is the most gratifying deployment of my career," said Capt. Jeremy Maxey with the 133rd Airlift Wing who was called back from his vacation early to go to the Virgin Islands. "It means a lot to be able to actually directly help people. It's why I serve. Throughout my career I've deployed numerous times, but this is the one where you actually see the people you serve."

The start of the month brought the first request for assistance. On Sept. 1, two CH-47 Chinook helicopters and 11 personnel from the St. Cloud-based B Company, 2nd General Support Aviation Battalion, 211th Aviation Regiment left for Texas following Hurricane Harvey to transport personnel and equipment in support of response efforts.



Finding fellowship in the sacred mission

Posted: 2017-09-26  12:02 PM
Minnesota National Guard CAMP RIPLEY, Minn. - One of the most difficult, most sacred, honorable duties in the military is one that people don't often think about. It takes compassion, empathy, care, and requires great resilience. It is one that when called upon to train for, they hope to rarely perform because it means another Soldier has been lost. It is the duty of casualty notification officer and casualty assistance officer.

About 45 Minnesota Army National Guard Soldiers came to Camp Ripley, Minnesota, on September 21-22, 2017, for a Reset Seminar to find fellowship in one specific thing they have in common: delivering the worst news in the Army.

When a Soldier dies at home or overseas, CNOs and CAOs must notify and help families through the process, including paperwork, benefits, and funeral arrangements.



Article archive
 
top