/*********************************************** * Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu- (c) Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com) * This notice MUST stay intact for legal use * Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code ***********************************************/
History
Minnesota National Guard
Bataan Death March survivor dies at age 90 in Kennewick

By Loretto J Hulse, Herald staff writer
KENNEWICK- America lost another hero when James H Bogart of Kennewick died last week The Bataan Death March survivor is remembered as a man who was loyal to his family, friends, wartime companions and country He died Aug 25

Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/MinnesotaNationalGuard/MinnesotaGuardRetireesAndVetsHonoredAtCampRipley#5528365567158264786

https://picasaweb.google.com/MinnesotaNationalGuard/MinnesotaGuardRetireesAndVetsHonoredAtCampRipley#5528366498607965650

"He never wanted to be called a hero," said granddaughter Jackie Mahren of Seattle "He just wanted to be known as a survivor"

She remembers her grandfather as someone who loved to tell a joke, loved to dance and loved to fish

"He had so much fun and laughter, my memories of him are the greatest," Mahren said "It was an honor knowing him I'm very proud of my grandpa I'll never let my children forget who he was"

Bogart celebrated his 90th birthday in December last year with family and friends at the American Legion post in Pasco with jokes and war stories

He was born Dec 16, 1920, in Pine River, Minn, and joined the Minnesota National Guard in 1940 The guard was nationalized the next year and became the Army Bogart, a staff sergeant with the 194th Tank Battalion, was deployed to the Philippines as a radio technician

It was peacetime when Bogart arrived, but the bombing of Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941, was just months away After the attack, he and his fellow soldiers fought the Japanese in the Philippines' Bataan Peninsula for three months before the order was given to surrender April 9, 1942

Bogart was one of the thousands of American and Filipino soldiers forced to march in the infamous and grueling Bataan Death March in 1942 They marched for miles to prison camps

At his birthday party last year, Bogart told a Herald reporter how supplies ran low and then disappeared, how the Japanese killed anyone who fell down and couldn't march, how people starved to death and their bodies lined the way to a nearby cemetery

When the order for surrender was signed, Bogart weighed 130 pounds Two weeks later, he believed he weighed about 95 pounds and counted himself one of the lucky ones

Bogart was one of about 700 American prisoners of war who survived being imprisoned at Camp Mukden in Manchuria (Japanese-controlled China) for three years

He was liberated and returned to the United States in October 1945

In an email to the Herald, Richard Davis, captain of American Legion Post 34 Honor Guard in Pasco, wrote, "Jim was one of the last survivors of the Bataan Death March Searching on the internet I found that two other survivors have passed in the month of August I know a few years ago, there were less than a dozen of them still alive"

Bogart married Hazel Meger and moved to Kennewick in 1950 She died May 13, 2009

He was a union carpenter and retired in 1982

Bogart had three children -- the late Don Skinner, Barbara Bruegeman of Lewiston, Idaho, and Patty Head of Seattle He had nine grandchildren and numerous great-grandchildren

Services, with military honors, will be 1 pm Saturday at Mueller's Tri-Cities Funeral Home, 1401 S Union St, Kennewick In lieu of flowers, the family asks donations be made to Camp Patriot, camppatriot.org

tricityherald.com � 
Wednesday, Aug 31, 2011
2 Comments

Article source
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2011/08/31/1622181/bataan-death-march-survivor-dies.html



Articles archive

In The News archive

Media Advisory archive

Latest News

Governor Mark Dayton installs new Minnesota National Guard Adjutant General

Posted: 2017-11-04  04:16 PM
TAG installation ST. PAUL, Minn. - Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton administered the oath of office to Maj. Gen. Jon A. Jensen, installing him as the Minnesota National Guard's 31st Adjutant General during a ceremony in St. Paul, November 4, 2017.

"General Jensen has been a tremendous leader of the Minnesota National Guard throughout his years of dedicated service," said Governor Dayton. "He has served in two top leadership positions, as the Commanding General of the 34th Red Bull Infantry Division, and also as the Chief of Staff at the Guard's Joint Force Headquarters. I am confident that he will continue to provide the same outstanding leadership as his predecessor, General Rick Nash."

Jensen most recently served as the Commanding General of the 34th Red Bull Infantry Division. He previously held positions as Deputy Commanding General, United States Army Africa and Southern European Task Force, Minnesota National Guard Director of the Joint Staff and Minnesota National Guard Assistant Adjutant General - Army.



Guard Heritage Suffers with Loss of Artillery Unit

Posted: 2017-10-04  11:22 AM
ETAB ANOKA, Minn. - The Minnesota National Guard lost one of its most historically significant units when the 151st Artillery's E Battery, (Target Acquisition) cased its colors in a ceremony at the Anoka High School Aug. 19, 2017.

The Target Acquisition Battery (ETAB), 151st Field Artillery is one of the oldest and most decorated units in the Minnesota National Guard and the 34th Infantry Division. "Both Minnesota and the Division lose the proud lineage that goes back to Civil War days, through WW1 and WW2, and had a significant amount of battle streamers," said 151st Field Artillery Battalion Commander, Lt. Col. Patrick Cornwell.

The 151st Field Artillery draws its lineage from the 1st Regiment, Minnesota Heavy Artillery of 1864 which fought two major campaigns in Tennessee during the Civil War.



In one month: Minnesota Guardsmen support Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria

Posted: 2017-09-29  02:25 PM
Minnesota National Guard ST. PAUL, Minn. - In the span of a few weeks, three major hurricanes hit different parts of the southern United States, causing widespread damage and destruction and requiring the response of agencies around the country. The Minnesota National Guard is one of the many organizations that have responded, sending Soldiers and Airmen to Texas, Florida, the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

"This is the most gratifying deployment of my career," said Capt. Jeremy Maxey with the 133rd Airlift Wing who was called back from his vacation early to go to the Virgin Islands. "It means a lot to be able to actually directly help people. It's why I serve. Throughout my career I've deployed numerous times, but this is the one where you actually see the people you serve."

The start of the month brought the first request for assistance. On Sept. 1, two CH-47 Chinook helicopters and 11 personnel from the St. Cloud-based B Company, 2nd General Support Aviation Battalion, 211th Aviation Regiment left for Texas following Hurricane Harvey to transport personnel and equipment in support of response efforts.



Finding fellowship in the sacred mission

Posted: 2017-09-26  12:02 PM
Minnesota National Guard CAMP RIPLEY, Minn. - One of the most difficult, most sacred, honorable duties in the military is one that people don't often think about. It takes compassion, empathy, care, and requires great resilience. It is one that when called upon to train for, they hope to rarely perform because it means another Soldier has been lost. It is the duty of casualty notification officer and casualty assistance officer.

About 45 Minnesota Army National Guard Soldiers came to Camp Ripley, Minnesota, on September 21-22, 2017, for a Reset Seminar to find fellowship in one specific thing they have in common: delivering the worst news in the Army.

When a Soldier dies at home or overseas, CNOs and CAOs must notify and help families through the process, including paperwork, benefits, and funeral arrangements.



Article archive
 
top