/*********************************************** * Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu- (c) Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com) * This notice MUST stay intact for legal use * Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code ***********************************************/
Minnesota National Guard
Families, Supporters Say Goodbye to 55 Rosemount-Based Soldiers

Gov Dayton, Sen Klobuchar among dignitaries wishing Minnesota-based National Guard troops a safe return

By Delane Cleveland and Betsy Sundquist | Email the authors | April 16, 2011

Fifty-five soldiers from a Rosemount-based battalion were sent off to war Friday

Families, friends and supporters, including Minnesota's governor and a US senator, gathered at the Rosemount� National GuardTraining and Community Center on a blustery afternoon to watch the official deployment of the Minnesota National Guard's 2nd� Combined Arms Battalion, 136th� Infantry

"You are all heroes,"� National Guard Commander in Chief and� Gov Mark Dayton� told the assembled group, which leaves Sunday for Fort Dix, NJ, then early this summer for Afghanistan, where they will be part of NATO Training Mission " Afghanistan (or NTM-A, as the acronym-loving military knows it) "Your patriotism and your willingness to protect freedom throughout the world is extraordinary"

The governor, who also praised the soldiers' families as patriots, presented a Minnesota flag to Maj Chip Rankin, the NTM-A officer in charge

"We wish you godspeed,"� Dayton said "Fly it proudly, and bring it back with all your men safely"

The battalion, which includes soldiers from all over the state " along with three from North Dakota, two from Iowa and one each from Wisconsin and Pennsylvania " is scheduled to return to Minnesota sometime next spring Their mission in Afghanistan is to help with counter-insurgency operations and infantry skills training

Despite the seriousness of the occasion, there was some humor In introducing the governor, Minnesota Adjutant General Richard Nash made a faux pas: "It's a privilege to introduce the commander in chief of the Minnesota National Guard, Governor Pawlenty,"� Nash said, causing good-natured laughter all over the auditorium " including chuckles from Dayton " before correcting himself

"I hope I can recover from that,"� a red-faced (but grinning) Nash said

Sen Amy Klobuchar� teased Nash about his gaffe: "I keep wanting to call you General Shellito,"� Klobuchar said, referring to Nash's predecessor, Adjutant General Larry Shellito, who retired last year "But that would be giving you too much grief"

Klobuchar also praised the battalion, drawing comparisons between its members and those of the 1st� Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, who held the line against 1,600 Confederate troops at Gettysburg (This week marks the 150th anniversary of the Civil War's beginning)

"Minnesota's honor is indeed safe in your hands,"� she said "Thank you for your service and your dedication"

Families began arriving for Friday's ceremony shortly after noon, walking past a phalanx of flags held by members of the Minnesota Patriot Guard, an organization that sends representatives to all deployment and welcome-home ceremonies and offers other support to soldiers and their families

Inside the auditorium, babies fussed and family members held seats for later arrivals A grandfather held a toddler on his lap, showing him how to wave one of the small flags that lay on every spectator's seat
Camouflage-clad members of a small military band made experimental toots into their instruments before launching into a medley of patriotic tunes

Members of the battalion marched in 15 minutes before the ceremony was to begin, and stood at attention in front of their seats, unsmiling Most of them " 39 of whom are leaving behind dependents " were undoubtedly thinking about the birthdays, second-grade concerts, lost teeth and family dinners that they'll miss over the next year

For Aimee Olson of Albert Lea, Friday's ceremony was dA��jA��  vu: Her husband, 1st Sgt Ole Olson, spent 22 months in Iraq from November 2005 to July 2007

"I don't know if it's really sunk in yet,"� she said from her seat in the second row of the spectator section "I don't know that it will until I take him to the hotel on Sunday

"It's a long time, but not as long as last time"

Ole, whose civilian job as a roofing salesman with a territory that includes Minnesota, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Iowa, is often away from home when he's not deployed And Aimee thinks her age and her husband's " Ole is 56, the second oldest soldier in the battalion " make the deployment somewhat easier

"When you're older, you're more settled in your marriage and in life,"� she said "These younger soldiers and their families have it harder"

The Olsons, who have been married for 18 years, have two sons, 11 and 17, at home Aimee was accompanied to Friday's event by her daughter, April Chance

"It's easier when you have family around,"� Aimee said, though she admitted that it's particularly hard on the boys when birthdays and holidays roll around, and their father is thousands of miles away

Ole Olson is one of 21 soldiers in the Rosemount group being deployed for the second time According to statistics from the National Guard, the average age of the group is 35, with the youngest 27 and the oldest 57

Olson's voice was one of the loudest when Command Sgt Major Paul Goss called the roll One after another, each of the 55 voices boomed, "Here, Sergeant Major!"� as Mills read their names

National Guard Chaplain Candidate, 1st Lt Justin Fenger, ended the ceremony with a plea to keep the battalion safe

"Go now in peace,"� he said

Article source, with video

Articles archive

In The News archive

Media Advisory archive

Latest News

Forging a path to career success

Posted: 2018-03-16  08:45 AM
Col. Angela Steward-Randle ST. PAUL, Minn. - Col. Angela Steward-Randle grew up in a military family - her father served in the Army on active duty - but it was a chance encounter with a friend at college that led her to want to make the military a career.

"My story is no different than many others," Steward-Randle, the Director of Human Resources, Manpower and Personnel for the Minnesota National Guard said. "I was in college and looking for financial resources to help pay for it."

Her college friend suggested they attend a summer training with the Reserve Officer Training Corps that had no obligation and could earn them some money. The friend never ended up going, but Steward-Randle did. After earning recognition as the top honor graduate and receiving an offer of a scholarship, she was hooked.

Minnesota Guardsman Receives Award for Combating Drugs in his Community

Posted: 2018-03-09  03:13 PM
Counterdrug WOODBURY, Minn. - Staff Sgt. Benjamin Kroll, an analyst with the Minnesota National Guard's Counterdrug Task Force who is assigned to work with the Hennepin County Sherriff's Office was recognized for his achievements as the Analyst of the Year during the 2018 Minnesota Association of Crime and Intelligence Analysts Training Symposium in Woodbury, Minnesota, March 7, 2018.

Through a partnership with Minnesota law enforcement agencies throughout the state, the Minnesota National Guard Counterdrug Task Force (MNCDTF) supports the anti-drug initiatives to counter all primary drug threats and vulnerabilities through the effective application of available assets, said Maj. Jon Dotterer, Counterdrug Coordinator for the State of Minnesota. The goal for the program is to support federal, state, tribal, and local agencies in the detection, disruption, interdiction, and curtailment of illicit drugs.

Kroll is one of sixteen service members on the Counterdrug Task Force that provides this force-multiplying service to our communities against illicit drug-use. With the information that law enforcement provide through their patrols and daily operations, Kroll and his colleagues across the state assist by putting together a figurative picture with all of the gathered information which aids in identifying how to move forward with legal action to deter or prevent the sale or use of illegal narcotic drugs.

Women Opened Doors in Minnesota National Guard

Posted: 2018-03-08  09:05 AM
Minnesota National Guard ST. PAUL, Minn. - "The battlefront is no place for women to be," said Command Sgt. Maj. Earl Kurtzweg, 125th Field Artillery, in an article published in 1976. "There are certain jobs girls say they can do, but they just can't do ... the battlefront is no place for women to be. Other countries in the world use women in combat, but the U.S. has not come around to that way of thinking." Kathy Berg, a New Ulm reporter summarized at the time. "So women in the New Ulm unit take care of personnel files and pay records and leave the fighting to the men."

The Minnesota National Guard has "come around to that way of thinking" since those early days of gender integration. In the last 44 years women have made momentous strides toward inclusion and acceptance. Their accomplishments are testimony to their fortitude and the progressive development of the Minnesota National Guard.

When an accomplished female Soldier is credited with breaking barriers she will often pass that honor to the women that preceded her. Brig. Gen. Johanna Clyborne is such a leader. She acknowledges that she is one of the first females in the Minnesota National Guard who has held key leadership roles, however she sees it differently. "I feel responsible for all women in uniform," said Clyborne. "Women before me opened the door, now I've cleared the room. It's up to the women behind me to hold the room."

Securing the Bold North: Minnesota National Guard supports Super Bowl LII

Posted: 2018-02-02  10:45 PM
Super Bowl 52 MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - More than 400 Minnesota National Guardsmen are supporting security efforts in Minneapolis ahead of Super Bowl 52.

"This is what we do," said Maj. Gen. Jon Jensen, Adjutant General of the Minnesota National Guard. "When the local community can't meet the public safety needs, they come to the Guard. We're their normal partner, we're a natural partner, and we're their preferred partner when it comes to filling in the gaps that they can't fill."

At the request of the city, Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton authorized the Minnesota National Guard to provide support to security efforts leading up to and during Super Bowl 52. The Guardsmen are providing direct support to and working alongside law enforcement officers from across the state. Like their civilian law enforcement partners, Minnesota Guardsmen are focused on ensuring a safe experience for the residents and visitors who are attending the Super Bowl festivities.

Article archive