History
Minnesota National Guard
Soldier Memorialization at
Camp Ripley
Memorialization and Court of Honor

Individuals with distinguished records of military service have been memorialized at Camp Ripley since 1933—initially by having a facility or site on the post named after them (e.g., a street, building, or prominent terrain feature). In more recent years, their names have been inscribed in the Court of Honor, an outdoor plaza/monument located on the grounds of the Minnesota Military Museum.  Memorial

Criteria
  • For heroism – members of the Minnesota Army National Guard who have been officially recognized for acts of valor or heroism at the risk of one’s life while in either state or federal military service.
  • For distinguished professional achievement and service – military personnel who have attained uncommon prestige as a member of the Minnesota Army National Guard or as a civilian employee of the Minnesota Department of Military Affairs. 
A Memorialization Board appointed by the Adjutant General solicits nominations, screens the candidates, and makes recommendations to the Adjutant General for naming to the Court of Honor.  The process is now conducted annually.
History

Court of Honor Induction Program Memorializations began in 1933 as stated in General Orders #5, dated 26 May 1933.  "As a perpetual monument in memory of a grateful State and Nation, terrain features on the Camp Ripley Military Reservation, Little Falls, MN, are hereby named in honor of Minnesota citizens, now deceased, who served honorably in our armed forces during time of war."  A total of 159 individuals were honored at that time.

Between 1954 and 1965, eight deceased Minnesota Army National Guard personnel were honored with the distinction of being memorialized by having a street or terrain featured with their name.

During the 1980's, a total of 110 individuals were memorialized. This is also when the first "living-retired" individuals began to be honored with the distinction of being memorialized.

In 1988 a regulation was developed to identify and to establish an organized way of considering and nominating individuals to be remembered through memorialization.  This is also when the Court of Honor began where nine individuals' names were etched in stone for the first time instead of being recognized at various locations around Camp Ripley.

Since 1988 ceremonies have been held consistently during the even numbered years.

By 1992 five more names were added to the Court of Honor along with four areas or locations being named after individuals. 

In 2006 the ceremony name was changed to, "Court of Honor Induction Program".

In January 2009 the regulation was amended to reflect the change of having the ceremonies being held annually.

From 1933 to 2009, a total of 389 individuals have been memorialized at Camp Ripley.



Resources

Court of Honor establishment orders.pdf

Minnesota Military Museum

Minnesota National Guard Regulation 1-33.pdf

Nomination Form.doc

Memorialization articles

Camp Ripley Court of Honor inducts three
10/22/2013

Four Minnesota Guard Soldiers added to Court of Honor
10/10/2012

Minnesota Guard names Court of Honor dignitaries
Written by Sgt. Daryl Sanford, 10/3/11

Camp Ripley Court of Honor Induction Ceremony (video)
2 Oct, 2011

Minnesota Guard Retirees and Vets honored at Camp Ripley
3 Oct, 2010

National Guard to honor Death March survivors at Camp Ripley
2 Oct. 2010

Four Minn. Soldiers inducted into Court of Honor
9 Oct. 2009

Soldiers memorialized in Court of Honor
24 Sep. 2008

6 inducted into Court of Honor at Camp Ripley
22 Sep. 2008

Contact

Minnesota Military Museum




 

top