/*********************************************** * Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu- (c) Dynamic Drive DHTML code library (www.dynamicdrive.com) * This notice MUST stay intact for legal use * Visit Dynamic Drive at http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code ***********************************************/
Minnesota National Guard
Frequently Asked Questions

Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB)

State Tuition Reimbursement (STR)

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

FTA/STR Dual-Use Policy

Student Loan Repayment Program (SLRP)

Selected Reserve Incentive Programs (SRIP)

Deployment Questions


Montgomery GI Bill

For questions and answer about GI Bill benefits visit the VA’s webpage at https://www.gibill.va.gov

Q: What does State Tuition Reimbursement (STR) reimburse for?
A: MNNG Service Members are reimbursed for the cost of tuition only, not any fees or room and board.

Q: How do I apply for STR?
A: To apply for STR you MUST contact your unit full-time representative to complete an MOU, a Direct Deposit form and a W9 Form.

Q: What do you need in order to process my STR payment?
A: Upon completion of the quarter/semester, obtain a STR payment request form from you full time unit representative.  Submit it to them along with a tuition/fee statement and your grade slip within 90 days of the end of the term. (Grade slips obtained via the internet are acceptable).

Q: How long does it take to get my payment?

A: Up to 45 days from the date that your Unit Administrator enters your payment request information into the STR database.  

Q: I just joined the Guard, for which semesters am I eligible for STR?
A: You are eligible for any classes that you attended after graduating from Basic Training. Just remember that if you ETS before your last day of classes, you are not eligible for STR for that term.

Q: What if I have an incomplete in one of my classes?
A: Turn in your STR payment request for the classes that are complete. Once you complete the incomplete class, you may turn that in for reimbursement.

Q: Do I have to have my tuition bill paid in full before I can be reimbursed?
A: No, the fee statement just needs to show the amount that you were charged for tuition. It does not matter if there is a balance that needs to be paid.

Q: Why wasn’t I reimbursed for all of the credits that were on my grades slip?

A: The STR program does not reimburse for a grade of C- or below for undergraduate students and B- or below for Graduate students. The programs does not reimburse for classes that a Soldier has withdrew from either.


Q: How do I start using GoArmyEd.com for FTA?
A: NEW USERS need to go to https://www.goarmyed.com, select the GET STARTED button or CREATE OR REACTIVATE ACCOUNT in the top right corner of the screen, complete the application and click SUBMIT to receive your username and password.

REGISTERED USERS will need to log on to goarmyed.com with username and password and complete the required IN-PROCESSING STEPS: common application, VIA, acknowledge statement of understanding (SOU) and upload degree plan and create course planner.

Select LAUNCH QUICK START TRAINING to complete SOLDIER TRAINING. It is your responsibility to know and follow GoARmyEd procedures. Finally, contact the Army Education Counselor/ESS to activate your Goarmyed account. This can be done by entering a help desk ticket (see Help Desk Ticket question below) or e-mailing ng.mn.mnarng.mbx.assets-education@mail.mil. Be specific and professional with your request.

Q: How do I enter a Help Desk Ticket in GoArmyEd.com?

A: From your home page, click on CREATE HELPDESK CASE in the HELP DESK CASES section on the lower left of the screen.

Q: How do I apply for FTA in GoArmyEd?

A: Note: You Must apply for FTA through GoArmyEd.com and receive approval PRIOR TO the start date of your course. See http://www.minnesotanationalguard.org/education/federal/benefits for more information about how to apply for FTA. Soldiers can apply for FTA up to 60 days prior to the start date for a course.

Do not wait until the day of the course start date if you do not receive this e-mail-contact your school and/or Education Services Office at: ng.mn.mnarng.mbx.assets-education@mail.mil with any questions.

Q: I received an e-mail from GoArmyEd stating that I have been approved for TA. What do I do next?
A: Print out TA approval and deliver to your billing office. Once you receive an approval e-mail it is up to your school to invoice the Army and for the Army to pay your school. Any changes made to your courses will need to be made before the Add/Drop date for your school.

Q: What do I do if I have a question in Goarmyed?

A: You can enter a Help Desk Ticket or call the GoArmyEd helpdesk: 1-800-817-9990 or Contact your NG-Minnesota Army Education Counselors at: ng.mn.mnarng.mbx.assets-education@mail.mil.


FTA/STR Dual-Use Policy

Members receiving Federal Benefits which pay tuition costs directly are eligible to receive funds under the STR program.  The combination of Federal Benefits and STR cannot exceed 100% of the tuition costs.

Examples of Programs which offer direct tuition payments (not all inclusive):
• Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits
• Chapter 31 VOC REHAB
• Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)
• ROTC Scholarships (tuition scholarship option)

Q:  How do I receive the SLRP Benefit?
A:  The SLRP is an option if enlisting, affiliating, reenlisting, or extending into a valid incentive eligible position for a period of not less than 6 years.  If eligible, you will need to complete an addendum as part of your contract at the time of enlisting, affiliating, reenlisting or extending.

Q:  What loans are eligible for repayment under the SLRP?

A:  Loans (not in default) eligible for SLRP are:  Stafford Loans (subsidized), Stafford (unsubsidized), Federally Insured Student Loans, Perkins Loans, Auxiliary Loans to Assist Students (ALAS), Supplemental Loans for Students (SLS), Consolidated Loan Program (CLP) and (SMART), and William D. For Federal Direct Loan Program and PLUS.  

Q:  When will I receive my SLRP payment?
A:  The request for payment will be made on your anniversary date every year (starting 1 year after your first entitlement date).  The payment is not an automatic; you will need to submit proper paperwork to your unit for annual submission.

Q:  What is NSLDS?
A:  The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's central database for student aid. It receives data from schools, agencies that guaranty loans, the Direct Loan program, and other U.S. Department of Education programs. NSLDS provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and grants that are tracked through their entire cycle; from aid approval through closure

Q: What are NSLDS sheets and where do I find them?
A:  NSLDS  http://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds_SA/

Q:  How does my SLRP actually get paid?  What do I have to do?
A:  Once the Unit and Soldier have completed their portions and signed the DA 2475, the Soldier/Unit will send the paperwork to the lending institution.  The lending institution then sends it back to the unit completed.  The unit will prepare a commander certification letter and will have the Commander sign it.  Once the packet is complete, they will send the completed packet to the Incentive section.

Q:  What does the full SLRP packet contain?

A:  DA 2475, Current RPAM Statement, Commander’s Certification Letter, Promissory Note (1year only), All NSLDS Sheets to include the summary sheet listing all loans

Q:   My SLRP packet has been submitted.  How long until my lender receives the money?

A:  Typically 60-90 days, once USPFO processes the payment.

Q:  How do I know when my payment to the lender has been made?
A: Check your Student Loan Statements or send a written request to your lender asking them to notify you when the payment has been received.

Q:  I have not received an SLRP Payment in 3 years, why?  Do I lose those payments?

A:  You have not received any payments because you and/or the unit have not submitted your completed SLRP Packet to the incentives section.  You do not lose those payments and are eligible to receive payments up to 6 years later.

Q: Where can I get more information about my Education and Incentive Benefits?
A:   Direct any questions to your unit Full Time Staff and they will contact the appropriate office to get you an answer.



I want to change Units and/or my MOS.  Am I able to retain my bonus?
A:  Depending on the bonus addendum you signed, you may be eligible to retain your incentive.  Please refer to your addendum and if you have any further questions, contact your Unit Administrator.

Q: When will I get my bonus payment?
A:  Bonus payments are processed on your anniversary date, also referred to as your eligibility date.  Once processed, it can take anywhere from 60-90 days to receive the bonus.  Keep in mind that some bonuses are paid in installments; be sure to reference your contract/bonus addendum.

  I signed my incentive contract while I was deployed and my bonus was taxed.  What do I do?
A:   Gather your DA 4836, Bonus Addendum, DD 214 from deployment, and the LES showing when the bonus was paid.  Turn all these documents into your Unit Administrator.

Q:  I was notified by my Unit that my bonus is being recouped, can I request an exception to policy (ETP)?
A: Yes.   The ETP process will start by contacting your unit administrator and informing them you would like to proceed with an ETP.

  I’m eligible to Re-enlist.  Does my unit have the right to deny me a bonus?
A:  Yes.  Your Unit Commander has the right to deny you a bonus; however, they are required to have supporting documentation to support their decision.


Q: I am deployed, are there educational benefits available to me, if so how do I apply?
A: Yes, you go through your MOBE site Education Office. Check out the appropriate Programs pages for details. Basically you are entitled to the same benefits as if you were home here going to school, you just apply for them a little differently.

Q: How do I apply for STR while I am deployed?
A: You go through your Rear Detachment Support personnel and apply the same procedures as if you were state side. See State programs page for details.

Q: What happens when I Withdraw or take an Incomplete?
A: The Withdrawn class will not be paid. An incomplete grade will not be reimbursed until a grade is received for that course. Go through your rear detachment support personnel.

Q: What is the difference between withdrawing or taking an incomplete for a class?
A: Withdraw - you essentially drop the class w/o penalty and get no credit. Incomplete - you are allowed to finish the course for credit determined by a schedule you set up with the school and professor.

Q: What happens to my student loans while I am deployed?
A: They can be deferred if you send a letter requesting such action along with a copy of your deployment orders. Most financial Institutions will defer for total time stated on your orders. It is your responsibility to notify the financial institution once your deployment is finished.

Q: I was deployed under one of the following campaigns; GWOT, SFOR, KFOR, OIF or OEF. If I ETS are there any benefits availble to me?
Yes, refer to Extended State Tuiton Reimbursement. Must have deployed since 9/11 and ETS'd since 30 JUN 05.
If you were deployed for 24 continous months or more, you may be eligible for the Active Duty GI Bill. If you elected to sign up for this benefit, you retain it for a period of 10 years from the first day you became eligible.



Q: Are there any benefits for military spouses?
A: Yes, spouses can take CLEP and DSST exams for free. There are colleges that offer discounted tuition, there are special scholarships available and possibly some grants. We have provided links to help you research these benefits to find out more information.

Q: Can I use STR, FTA, SLRP, MGIB and MGIB Kicker all at the same time?
A: Yes, however to use MGIB Kicker with FTA, you must be enrolled at minimum as a half time student. Refer to SRIP Policy letter on the Federal Programs page for exact details. Tuition Assistance -Top Up- allows current active duty/AGR Soldiers to use their MGIB-AD benefits to pay the tuition costs not paid by the military through Tuition Assistance.



Minnesota National Guard Education office
e-mail has changed to

Follow the Minnesota National Guard on Facebook!